Peter Harrell

pharrel@duke.edu 

Nicholas School of the Environment 

My research focuses on geospatial analysis of landscape level change and recently, spatial analysis of human health issues, particularly cardiac arrest .  Most of my previous work has used remote sensing to look at change and the potential impacts and mitigation of climate change. 

https://scholars.duke.edu/person/pharrel 

I have taught GIS and remote sensing in the Nicholas School for 30 years.  My research experience has focused on landscape change using remote sensing.  The most applicable was a 10 year long DCERP grant at Marine Corp Base Camp Lejeune.  This involved a large team of researchers examining every aspect of Camp Lejeune’s ecosystem to help the base develop a better, long term ecosystem based management methodology to help the base adjust to climate change.  My role was developing a history of change at the base using satellite data.  More recently, I have been involved in spatial analysis of human health issues, in particular cardiac arrest.  The grant I am working with now is to help develop the spatial data to examine the feasibility of drone deployed AED’s for cardiac arrest following a 911 call.